Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mulligan!

Ok, so here's the deal. Today is my second to last day of living in San Diego. On Thursday my husband, Nick, and I will pack ourselves, the dog, the cat, and more things than you thought possible into our mini cooper and trek across the country, back to Charleston, SC. I say back to, because we lived there 4 years ago.

I won't lie and say I am ecstatic about the move. Yes, 90% of our worldly goods are in storage and we have been living in a friend's condo for the past 3 months so I am really excited to have all that back. But moving back was never a part of our plans. I will go ahead and say that we did what we could to avoid moving back. The job Nick will be taking has some of the worst hours known to man. As for me, our previous year living there was so financially difficult and personally ego crushing that despite the wonderful food and beautiful buildings the city left a bad taste in my mouth.

However, as with most things in life, I find the minute you learn to embrace something and accept it for what it is, you can move past it. So I am choosing to view this as the world's biggest Mulligan. In moving back we are doing things our way. We aren't taking unsolicited advice and we are harboring no expectations. We have an apartment leased but beyond that our only plan is to show up and shoot from the hip. Which is, in truth, the only way Nick knows how to do things.

I, on the other hand, have always preferred the safety of plans, itineraries, graphs, and flow charts. As a proactive move against that I have a growing list or pet projects and rediscovered interests I am delving into in order to keep myself from stumbling back into really bad, old habits; like obsessing over the cleanliness of the house (and I do mean obsessing), graphing out and nitpicking at our checkbook until every superfluous expense is the end of the world, and the big one: the panicky need to get a job, any job, no matter how much it makes me miserable, or how much it conflicts with my husband's free time, or how much it pushes me in the opposite direction of where I want to go, because we don't have millions hoarded away yet and because getting a job, any job, is what adults do.

And that, my friends, is the intention of this blog. A small way to hold me accountable for the things I do or don't do. Not in a moral sense but in a not sitting around and being a total piece sense. If all goes well I will be outlining our journey across country and the misadventures we have in Charleston and beyond, cause damn it, there will be misadventures, mile markers, and lots of stupid decisions that I am not above posting on the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment