Thursday, February 25, 2010

Some Housekeeping.....

Today's post is dedicated to various bits of blog housekeeping.  First, I want to acknowledge and pass on a couple of awards given to me by two fantastic bloggers during the course of last month.

I'll start with the "Kreativ Blogger" award from Betty @ Cut and Dry.  Betty is a lovely individual and her blog is always insightful.

I would like to pass this on to:

Kait @ This American Kait - Her blog never fails to make me giggle
Nikki @ Simple Travels - She always has randomly useful info and I love her "Frugal Fridays"
Meg @ The Way I See It - Because her blog is just charming

The second is the "Beautiful Blogger" award from Sadie @ Sadie.  She just started touring her apartment via blog on "Touring Tuesdays" which I think is awesome.  AND she makes tutus, how cool is that?
 I would like to pass this on to:

Joanna @ Fool in the Rain - She is a dear friend and has the best taste in music of anyone I know
All the Ladies @ BonBon Rose - Because with every post they tap into my visions of a dream closet/apartment
Pissy @ Southern Circle of Hell - She is subtly snarky and I love that in a person

Continuing with the blog housekeeping.....if you note to your left I have added another book.  This month I read "Why Kerouac Matters."  It was not a page turner but I wasn't expecting it to be.  After all, it was 25% biography and 75% literary analysis....that's right, I am one of those people that will read literally analysis and such for fun, you wanna make something of it?  I didn't think so.  Though perhaps a little dry it was a very interesting read and for anyone who has ever read On The Road I would recommend it as it adds another dimension to the book.  
 Along the theme of housekeeping something odd happened today that I want to share with you all.  A couple days ago a dumpster appeared extending over a few parking spots in front of our building.  Not too weird.  Then today my husband and I took the dog out for a walk and a portion of the screened in patio of the apartment down a floor and caddy corner from us was cut away forming a direct path to the dumpster which was now full of stuff.  But not normal dumpster stuff.  There was blankets and furniture and at least two mattresses.  It was bizarre.  I remembered that the apartments patio was really cluttered but nothing ever moved and I don't remember ever seeing anyone go in or out of the unit.  I am at home a lot and I haven't seen cops or paramedics by our unit so I don't think anyone died.  While out with the dog I did a quick survey of the immediate area and it didn't seem like there was any evidence of a TV crew from A&E's Hoarders.  So seriously guys, I am confused.  Did someone just abandon their place?  Nick, slightly in jest but also not said, "We should talk to the leasing office and see what happened."  I said I was sure that they couldn't just tell us about that, privacy laws and all, to which he responds with, "Well if someone died we deserve to know if there is a chance our building is haunted."  Thanks Nick, such tact and discretion......but not a half bad idea........Oh I have no shame.

One last housekeeping item.  Remember my resolutions and one of them was to refinish this rocking chair?  Well, this is the chair in question.  

We inherited it from my in-laws, I don't really know how or why.  But this week I am going to start (and hopefully finish) fixing it up.  That means I will be using power tools, specifically our drill with grinding and sanding attachments.  If I don't post for a while just assume I have lost a thumb.

But first, this weekend it is off to Brewvival.  I have had my tickets for over a month and I couldn't be more excited for a day dedicated to sampling craft beer and eating BBQ!

13 comments:

  1. Awwwww! Thanks for the award! "subtly snarky"....I like it! AND consider it a compliment! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've so been meaning to refinish our rocking chair for ages. Sigh. Why can't I get off my booty and do it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, totes missed the award. Thank you so much lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fixing up old stuff. The chair looks like a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww thank you so much for the award!!!I love it and can't wait to post it up!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your awards are well-deserved !!
    I love this chair!it should be fixed.
    Hope your day is a good one so far :)
    Betty xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATES Erika!! Very much deserved!! AND Thank you for your kind words!!

    Have a great weekend!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  8. You would not believe the stuff people leave. It's possible they moved or got evicted. It's insane. Shame the people who own the property didn't take it to Goodwill or another charity though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh good luck with the chair! What a fab idea, can't wait to see the outcome.

    You've got a very pretty blog over here! I love it, congrats on the awards, oh also, I've had a peep at your flickr stream and you've got some awesome images!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You live a very exciting life Ms Erika! The places you go and the things you do and see! I'm actually jealous lol... drinka brewsky or two for me and give us a "review" of the events ok? :D

    (((H)))

    Aion

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol I want to hear their response when you tell them you want to know if there's a chance the building will be haunted. ;)

    Sadie@
    nelliebugs-swaps.blogspot.com

    P.S. Thanks for the linky love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I admit I haven't read Kerouac yet. I'm personally intrigued and feel a bit culturally obligated, but with something so iconic there's always that worry that your expectations will drown out the substance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Erika, for your lovely comments!
    Have a great day!
    Betty xx

    ReplyDelete