Wednesday, March 31, 2010

FINALLY!

This weekend we went to visit my in-laws in DC before they evacuate the east coast and head toward the Midwest and a better job for my father-in-law.  Which meant Nick and I made the drive up I 95 again.  Which also meant that for, like, the umpteenth million time in my life we passed this.  

I can't tell you why but I have always had a love for roadside attractions and the like.  (Need me to talk more on that?  Check out this OLD post from way back in the fetal days of this blog....I promise it is worth your time.  Or you can ask anyone on my college speech team that was with me when I coerced our coach to take us to the "World's Largest Frying Pan.")  So naturally every one of those umpteen times Nick and I have passed "South of the Border"  I have begged to go.  No dice.  

I don't know what was different about this time.  Maybe Nick felt like since his parents were moving we may not make this same trip again soon.  Maybe it was because we was rewarding me like a 3 year old for getting up in the morning and actually leaving the apartment before 8 AM.  Maybe he just thought I looked super cute while sleeping with my mouth hanging open in the car (as per usual).  All I know is after a nice snooze I was roused by the sensation that we were pulling off 95 and onto an exit, and I opened my eyes to pure joy.  

I honestly can't tell you the last time I have been so giddy.  Nick said I looked like a kid on Christmas morning which I totally believe.  Rubbed my eyes, grinning ear to ear, bouncing up and down in my seat and talking about 2 octaves higher than normal, "Oh my gosh really, really?  You aren't joking?  Are we really going?"  So without further ado, some pictures from "South of the Border":

That's me standing between that mariachi's legs.
Look how excited I am!



21 comments:

  1. Hey I've always loved those roadside attractions...I even love those Stuckey's souvenir shops...When I'm on a trip I stop at everyone I see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know all too well the joy of stopping at roadside tourist traps. We used to travel all the time when I was a kid. Saw all kinds of wacky stuff.

    These pictures are great. It looks like a fun time. Also I love the label "I'm a jackass." That's just funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have the fun (maybe the only fun) about long drives, is the roadside stuff you see... But I've never seen anything like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i probably be excited as you beyond "Hot Tamale" !!! Where is Corona road sign ???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that it's called Pedroland Park ... I mean really?! Awesome! Glad you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE it!!! awww you look totally happy! i've never been there but it looks fun! So nice to go on a road trip, ahhh I can't remember the last time we went on one, I think we're over due! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures are great. It makes me want to stop at each one, as the final destination that is.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those kinds of things too! Ahhh, the joy of kitsch :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pictures are awesome!!!!

    It's been years since I've been past that place. Thanks for reminding me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. South of the Boarder is such an odd place, isn't it? Total roadside awesomeness. Been there a few times. Love the photos!

    FourthGradeNothing.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would make an amazing theme park. Especially if the sombrero was a spinning ride.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those sorts of things!
    You're amazing! Great pics as well.
    And tthank you for your interesting comments on my blog!
    Hope you're having a great day!
    Betty xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. We often see this when driving...

    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Touchdown_jesus.jpg

    Only, I don't feel like stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pics are making me loco to travel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice collection of photos. I checked out the October post. I've driven past THE THING. Never stopped. I'm a little miffed. There should have been one really cool thing, not a collection of mildly cool things...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I happened to stop by your blog from someone else's blogroll and am now your new follower! =)

    http://sklub105.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I looooooove hittin' up SOB...such cheesy fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These pictures are all so fun :)

    http://hopechella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete