Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hey! Did you guys know that there is a soapbox in here?

I meant to get this post up yesterday, however, my day ended up revolving around cleaning up dog vomit and an impromptu trip to the vet.  Thankfully, Bennet is on the mend so here we go - 

I went to Brewvival this weekend!  But in order to understand what a big deal that is you must first understand a little bit about the area in which I live.  Charleston's nick name is the "Holy City" because of the number of church steeples that dominate the downtown skyline.  It is an area that is steeped in history and tradition.  As such the liquor laws here are a little antiquated.  

In 2003 Charleston approved the 24 hour sale of wine and beer in grocery stores.  So when Nick and I moved here for the first time, in 2005, we were excited about that.  Then two weeks later when we wanted to get some rum.  We realized that we hadn't seen a liquor store anywhere.  As it turned out there was one right next to our grocery store.  However, since it was referred to as the ABC Package store (as liquor stores in SC are state run) we thought it was a package store, like a Mailboxes etc. sort of thing.

When we moved back in Oct of 2009 we were surprised to see some changes.  While I don't know all the specifics I can tell you there seem to be more "red dot" stores (the required logo for liquor stores) as well as limited Sunday hours for those stores.  In 2007 the ABV limit for beer increased allowing the sale of some higher octane imports and microbrews.  The most notable change, though, was the ability for bars to serve liquor from actual bottles, a great leap forward that happened shortly before we moved in late summer of '06.  Currently, there is a bill waiting approval to allow on-site beer tasting

But why is all of this important?  As Americans are beginning to pay more attention to what they eat as a matter health and/or politics people are relearning how to appreciate food.  If you want proof of this just look at the success of films like SuperSize Me, or Food Inc, and shows like Top Chef or Hell's Kitchen.  Need more evidence?  Check out this article from Business Week.  With this new appreciation for the meal, naturally follows a piqued interest in the drinks that pair well.  

Beer happens to the be "it" child of the moment.  I can only speculate as to why.  I imagine it is because there are no rules or rituals to tasting beer the same way there is to tasting wine.  I suspect it also has to do with the fact that beer is easier and cheaper to make and doesn't involve super finicky grape vines.  I would also not be surprised to find that it stems from some good old American vindication after Budweiser was sold to a Belgian company.  

Now for locals, at least, Charleston has always been a pretty food-centric city.  The only thing that rivals the number of churches downtown is the number of restaurants.  Brewvival was another wonderful indicator of the forward momentum and continual evolution of food in Charleston.  For example, still lots of great fried chicken and soul food but now (more than ever before) also lots of french, fusion, and even more sushi.  In addition to being such a win for food lovers in the area it is a great win for the local economy as the city has always heavily relied upon it's restaurants and it's tourists (many of which make the pilgrimage here for the food i.e. the Food and Wine Festival in March).   Brewvival was another great showcasing opportunity for one of the greatest activities this city has to offer, eating.  

And now if you will allow me to step down from the soapbox on which I didn't intend to stand I would like to share with you a few of my favorite pics from the festival.

First taste of the day
 
The crowd
Checking stuff off the list
 
These guys totally beat my husband at a game of cornhole
 
 
Lip Balm from New Belgium Brewing
 
In case you thought I was crazy for making bacon cupcakes....this, my friends, is a bacon brownie, and it was DAMN good.
Lunch in the form of a BBQ sandwich from Ted's
 
So none of us generally drink stout beer but there was plenty of it to be had, and it was good, this one even tasted like coffee.  So stout beer, I apologize, I take back all the bad things I ever said about you.
 

19 comments:

  1. Cupcakes with bacon ? why not ??? with a fresh beer ???? hum the idea is not bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a beer drinker but oh my I would certainly love to sample a bacon brownie!! yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun. And, you're not wearing a parka... man, I wish I was you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like my kind of party. Good food and beer? I need to check out Charleston someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures! :) Thanks for sharing!

    Sadie@
    nelliebugs-swaps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a blast. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome photos! Looks like a heap of fun times and interesting food (it's making my somewhat hungry...) bacon brownies sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is a home brewer. He attends many beer festivals around the northeast and has won a few local awards here in NJ. He only consumes craft micro brews typically from local brewers. Please support your local brewer! It's all about quality ingredients, maybe check out Beer Wars. Decent documentary...

    Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats awesome you guys got to go to a beer festival!! I've been to a wine festival but never a beer one. We did go to a brewery in Salem once and it was neat to try the different tastes. I love the pics, especially the one with the guy holding the stout beer, lol he should be on an ad for them! And I totally agree, I think people are becoming more aware of health foods, so its interesting that beer is becoming more popular...bacon brownies, what!? I can't even imagine that taste but I want to try! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beer that tastes like coffee. That would be like licking an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT PICS! I can almost taste the Beers!! They make me want to go back to Germany NOW lol
    I was stationed in Stuttgart Germany for several years and used to attend the Cannstatter Volksfest every year.. as I've said before.. I'm sooo jealous of you lol
    I'm glad you had a GREAT Weekend.. looks like ya'll had a BLAST!

    Aion

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, beer tasting! I don't know that I've ever attending an official one. I'm intrigued now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like lots of fun!! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dude. YES! That is most def my kinda event!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like an awesome time!! M'mm bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just for the record, I LOVE soapboxes!!

    I wanted to stop by and thank you for stopping by my blog! I really, really appreciate it! I'm glad you did! Now I'm following you back! Cheers! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a beer fun, and mmm bacon!Love it.
    What a great time you had!.
    Betty xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just gonna say that I'm immature enough to never get over the fact that that game is called cornhole. Makes me giggle EVERY time.

    ReplyDelete