Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The past few weeks have somehow felt like a primetime office sitcom, only not as funny, and more me pulling out my hair.

Here I am, kids!  Alive and well.  I apologize for my sudden, unexplained hiatus.  The past few weeks have been wacky to say the least so I want to try fill you in a little before I try and resume a regular posting schedule.

Let's start on April 8.  That is the day my husband and I decided to impulse buy a condo.  I really wish there were a way to say that without making us sound like we have more money than sense (which, believe me, we don't) or like we are just total idiots.  But when push comes to shove, by definition, I guess it is an impulse buy.  The way Nick and I have adapted to the military lifestyle of moving with the frequency nomads and orders changing at the midnight hour has been to simply fly by the seat of your pants and always keep an eye out for opportunity.  Then, be ready to make the plunge cause you never know when you will get a second chance.  So when we found out that we could by a really nice and super affordable townhome, essentially across the street, have the builder's pay our lease break and foot the bill for a large portion of closing, in a town that has a large transitional population that would lend itself well to keeping property as a rental once we move, and at a time in our life when our family unit plus possessions is small enough to fit in a space that is both small enough AND big enough to be super desirable to future renters.  Well, you see how it would have been hard to say no to such a proposition.  So there has been lots of phone calls, emails, and paperwork with that.

Skip to April 11 (mind you, 3 days after the decision to purchase the townhome) we get a random letter in the mail from a collection agency saying we owe about $1000 in back taxes for property tax on our car from the state of Connecticut for 2007 and 2008.  Which is odd because we lived in CT for 3 months in 2006.....hmmmmm.  I did a little google search and found out that this particular collection agency is known for being rather harassing too......super.  I won't bore you all with tax law info from the state of CT, but I will tell you we were right and they were wrong (HA! Triumph!).  But nevertheless, that meant ANOTHER round of panicked phone calls and emails to our lawyer friend, an official visit to the legal office on the airforce base and ANOTHER dubious pile of paperwork.  (If anything can be said about me, it is that I am organized and diligent to the extreme when recording things.)

The following week my husband and I got the worst stomach flu I have had in YEARS.  Like I lost 7lbs in 4 days sort of sick.  Like I bunched up the rug on our bathroom floor and used it as a pillow while I covered up with a random dirty beach towel cause it was the closest thing sort of sick.

Then the following Tuesday I started my new job.  Which, by the way, is kinda freaking awesome.  But has also been a giant black hole for time even before I started working.  I am working as a technical writer for a big company you have probably never heard of that has their hands busy in a gazillion different things.  But the department I work in primarily deals with software development.  As such they are, like, break your kneecaps serious about nondisclosure....hence my super vague description.  And yes, I might be making the kneecap thing up.  It would really just be serious jail time and/or a heavy fine.  Either way, consequences serious enough to warrant 5 hours of background check paperwork and THAT is no exaggeration.  (What I say about eating up time?)

So, my friends, if you have been wondering where I was, fear not.  I had not forgotten about you.  I was merely in room somewhere with a pen and piece of paper filling out my last name, first name, middle initial, current address, current phone, social security number, addresses for the past 7 years (FYI - legally I have had 9), so on and so on and so on.......    

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the condo & the new job! Not so much on the stomach flu, but your description of the experience was so bang on it did make me chuckle in that I've so been there kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!! Sounds like you've been occupied, and not all of it has been much fun! Boo to Connecticut. They charge property tax on CARS? Remind me never to move there. Glad you got your non-issue sorted out with the collection agency. Hope you're all well again. That sounds like one nasty bug you had. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Mom and I can say this: so proud of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome back!!! I'm sorry that you guys got sick, laying on the bathroom floor is so not fun. I've had my share of those. I'm glad you are feeling better, and Congratulations on the new condo!!! how exciting! I love impulse buys especially when they are all fate working its magic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't wait to see photos of your new condo- congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impulse buy a condo? That sounds a little scary. But yay for new job. And boo to stomach flu.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHOA lady. You've been busy...but it sounds like a good kind of busy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo, I'm very excited for you to hear about the double blessings (new home and new job). Double Congratulations, and it's great to see you back in bloggyland.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you're back! You've been missed! And great news about the condo too! Sucky news about the tax people, but what can you do? Glad that you're feeling better and I hope you're enjoying moving into your new place : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Someone whose life is as insane as mine! I got stranded in London due to volcanic activity this past week and am closing on my house this coming week and I gotta fix it up before I move in and fix this place up before I sell it - oh well. Beats boredom. Congrats on the new place and job!

    ReplyDelete