Monday, April 12, 2010

Twilight: A tale of love and ridicule

Ok, I can just hear some of you totally losing respect for me on the spot but hear me out. 

I am one of the millions that have gotten sucked into the Twilight book series.  I am not proud.  I am not going to try and argue the literary merit of books, cause let's face it, 50 years from now the Meyer estate will be lucky if the social phenomenon (much less the books themselves) are noted in history.

What I will say is Stephanie Meyer wrote some serious literary candy, made me read 4 somewhat lengthy books in record time, and probably tricked some little tweens out there into reading Romeo and Juliet and/or Wuthering Heights.  So good for her.  But this is only tangential to where I want to go with this post.  

 This is my husband's Kindle.  You know, the one he took with him on the sub when it was going out for sea trials.  

I can tell you that he hasn't read Moby Dick, that download was just a decoy.  The decoy didn't work.  He was still given an endless amount of shit by all the other members of the crew.

This is why I married the guy.  He never fails to surprise or amuse me.  

I started reading the books back in March of '09.  I remember the month I started reading them (and plowed through them faster than I thought I would)because it was right before Nick relocated from Seattle to San Diego.  I wasn't able to make the same move until three months later, so yes, I was looking for a little escapist literature.  And if you didn't know, Nick and I were high school sweethearts (pause for obligatory "awwww"...I know, it's cute, whatever).  So both of us have a soft spot for high school themed crap.  On top of that I am on a constant mission to try and get Nick to read, cause the guy just doesn't and it makes me sad.  So, after I finished the first installment I was all like, "Nick, I can't tell if you would love this or hate it so just read the first chapter."  This was the last we discussed Twilight....Until a couple weeks later, after he left with the boat.  Then, I started getting emails from him while he was underway, talking about the characters in the book as if he were 15 and they were kids in his class.   So crazy!

Now it's become like this bizarre bonding activity for us.  He'll make some reference to the books out of the blue (most likely just to get chuckle out of me).  And I will look at him sideways and all squinty-eyed and say, "Really?  That is really where your mind goes when you hear this Killers song?"  And in return I didn't have to drag him kicking and screaming to the midnight showing of New Moon.  (Oh, yeah, we are also avid people watchers and there is no better place to people watch than a midnight showing of some super hyped premier.)  We ordered tickets at the giant screen theater in Charleston, got a six-pack of beer at the concession stand, and sat back to watch all the people crazier than we were.  Great fun.

One of my more favorite moments happened last month when we went down to Target to procure our copy of New Moon....don't judge.....they are great movies to pop on while multi-tasking like a champ, plus we have developed drinking games around them (if you like I will post the rules later).  Target had conveniently placed several copies of the movie at the register.  Standing next to the display in line was some poor schmuck of a guy, clearly picking up a copy for his wife, girlfriend, niece, neighbor he wants to hook up with, or what have you.  Nick spots this guy and remembers that I am with him, so he has a scapegoat.  He shoots me a knowing look and quite firmly says, "Well go grab it, I'm not going to."  I roll my eyes and move the three feet over to the display and right as I start to stretch my arm out to grab the movie I hear another harsh, panicked whisper behind me, "Make sure to get the blu-ray!"  Which didn't help his cause as I immediately doubled over laughing at that comment.  Man, I adore that guy. 

16 comments:

  1. I remember those emails! I really really hope you still have them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't lose too much respect! It was a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the books and quite enjoyed them. The films put me off forever!! I have never watched anything worse! (in my opinion) ha ha!

    Well done for getting your husband to read though. I think if I tried to get my husband to read the Twilight saga he'd just laugh at me. Same reaction with any book to be honest.

    Drinking games? Oh! I have an idea ... every time Bella adopts a new facial expression take a drink! Oh no, wait a minute ... that's crap ... she only has one expression!! he he :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny... I hooked my husband using mostly the same methods & he devoured all four books like candy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I was given the books as a Christmas gift. I remember thinking that the first one was awful. Mostly because I think that it could have been seriously condensed. But, I read all 4. Thought they were ok, and then all the sudden Twilight is everywhere?

    Though, I often have the movies on in the background and my husband says to me "Are you watching that again?"

    But Edward will always be Cedric in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fellow twilight lover here....I got sucked in, too....and I read all four of the books in a week. (I was introduced to them just as #4 came out...lucky me....no waiting!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwww!!! so cute! high school sweethearts!!:) jk lol. but it is cute:) I love the kindle!! I don't have one yet but I desparetely want to get one! they look so awesome and convenient instead of lugging around a bookbag full of books. I've never seen New Moon, or any of the other twilight movies, but after hearing so much about them I admit it, I'm starting to just become alittle interested, maybe even so much that I'd buy one and watch it, or maybe netflix:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a closeted Twilight fan too. The books are not literature, but they are fun to read. And the movies are so bad they are entertaining. Hell, I did attend the midnight release party to Breaking Dawn. There I said it. I feel better now. Thank you for your inspiration to come out of the Twilight closet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the first one just to see what all the hype was about and was never really interested in reading any more-
    Nice that you are getting your Mr Man to read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah ha ha. I'm likin' the sound of your hubs. Kinds like mine who yells at the Real Housewives with me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Great story! I think your husband is pretty brave to have those books on his kindle in a submarine full of guys ready to give him crap about it. ;-)

    I've read them all...so have my adult daughters. We all went to see Twilight together at a suburban cineplex.

    The audience was more entertaining than the movie.

    p.s. I loved the books, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guys are reading Twighlight in submarines, huh? I read Twilight - thought the ending kicked ass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course half the people who do make fun of women that like the Twilight series consider James Bond high literature. I think it's delicious the two of you can share your clandestine pleasures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally miss your posts! Come back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am the only chick in the world not into Twilight or Harry Potter. I suck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've yet to succumb, but boy is my sister working on getting me to read them. I think it's adorable that ya'll bonded over that!

    ReplyDelete