Wednesday, October 20, 2010

You Say Tomato, I Say Tomato....

....That line doesn't work as well written down.

You know what is crazy?  The disturbing lack of knowledge I have when it comes to produce.  I do a fair amount of cooking and baking, but I am intimidated by all the weird green and yellow and orange things at the grocery store.  It's not that I don't like them.  I LOVE fruits and veggies.  But basically, if you aren't getting it from a can or the freezer aisle and you can't just toss it in a salad, I am, more or less, at a total loss for what to do with it.

Remember Sunday's late night post?  All that random veggie based food I made?  That feast o' produce was born from this intimidation.

We started doing Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) through a local farm.  This Friday will be our third pick up in a 12-week season.  This entire program is awesome.  I love that it is local, sustainable, and transitioning to organic.  I love that giving me a weekly copy paper size box packed full of veggies and herbs is encouraging me to eat more produce.  However, it has also been a serious educational experience.

The first box we received I had to do a lot of googling.  There was lots of Wikipedia reading and serious scrutinizing over google image search results.  I had no idea what a fresh beet looked like.  I don't think I had eaten beets since I was like 7, and they were from a can, and I didn't like them.  (I like them now, though.) Broccoli Rabe, no clue that was even a thing.  You say Swiss Chard and I instantly think of Swiss Cheese and Chardonnay.  And all these random winter squashes which I still don't know what they are.  All those things have just always fallen into the general category of "winter squashes" aka cute things my mom buys at the grocery store to put out on the front porch with the pumpkins around Halloween.  Yeah, NO clue how to prepare those guys.  That will be another date for me and the internet later this week.

So yeah, I am open for suggestions.....

4 comments:

  1. Ooh Swiss chard--chopped(no stems)saute in a little olive oil and minced garlic, toss with feta cheese, cooked pasta, chopped up chicken, salt and pepper and add splash of white wine or lemon juice. I don't really do recipes I just guess but this comes out tasty everytime. Can also replace chard with spinach.

    or soups-- I sort of treat kale and swiss chard the same and add them to potato or tomato soups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate picking out vegetables and fruits. I never acquired the skill of picking the right ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the farm box thing too this year, although our box comes with a list of the contents & instructions on how to properly store them, plus a recipe card usually using the more obscure veggies in the basket which has been very helpful. My biggest tip would be if you are running out of time to eat all of the veggies... make soup. Much better to do now that's it's fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could help but I really hate cooking and avoid it whenever possible : (

    ReplyDelete