Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Seattle & Me: A Love Story

Here's a little fact about me.  I really like it when things that don't necessarily go together, go together.  It is one of my greatest delights in life.  Quirky little indie band covering Beyonce's Single Ladies?  Love it!  The odd mish-mash of colors, styles and time periods in Baz Luhrmann movies?  All over it.  If you take me to a restaurant where there is something on the menu like a pepper infused fruity martini, or blue cheese chocolate, or hot dogs with mango chutney; I will order it.

I think this might be one of the reasons I love Seattle so much.  The honest to god, true, variety of everything and the way it blends together.  I could sit here and wax philosophical about the arts and diversity and blah blah blah.  But I won't.  Because naval gazing is not really my forte and it's besides the point.  I just really like the unexpected.  The new ideas and odd combinations of old ideas that make the world go forward.  Seattle is a pretty good place to find that sort of thing.

A couple weeks ago Nick and I took a long weekend and made our way back to Washington to get our Pacific Northwest fix.  We saw some friends.  We drank enough coffee to keep a small nation wired for a week.  We stopped by several of our old haunts.  While walking down the main drag in our old neighborhood we noticed that a few new businesses had moved in.  Naturally, I was offended that life could go on and things could change in my absence.  How dare they?  One these new spots was a Tea Room.  I immediately decided we had to go.  

Now when I say Tea Room, I do mean TEA ROOM.  Nick and I had been walking around downtown all day.  A friend that went with us was a wee bit hungover for the previous evening.  Collectively, without even realizing what is happening, we walk into this:

  
  That's right.  Baby blue interior, toile everything, crystal and chandeliers out the yang and we are loud, windswept and in jeans.  Believe me when I say where I live now, we would have gotten at least one disapproving look.  However, in Seattle, amidst the crowd of bridal showers, baby showers, and middle aged women playing tea party, no one noticed us as out of place.  Then, our waitress walks up.  All in black, clearly as per management, but wearing a leopard print apron and donning some visible piercings and tattoos.  The contrast between her appearance and the explosion of Victorian bric-a-brac was overwhelming and perfect.  All three of us instantly fell at ease.  We were still in Seattle, where you can come as you are and frequently strange bedfellows make the best couples.  Love. That. City.

P.S. - See a few photos from around my old 'hood here.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely- exactly my cup of tea (sorry couldn't stop myself from writing that)-
    Well how the heck are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there a lot of Brits in Seattle? I'm wondering how that business would fly down here (SoCal). I guess it would work as long as the serve some scrumptious crumpets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just took the link over to your photo blog. Do you think that you might revive it? If not, yoyu could just start posting them here. What I'm saying, is you take great photos and have a really good eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just yelped because of your link. I think that may have been the best day ever and it makes me seriously miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm, and I should mention here that your content related ad below is for the Tea Party Patriots .... yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I've never been to Seattle but have always wanted to go. It sounds awesome! Its funny, reading that I like the idea of things that dont' normally going together going together too! For some reason it seems relaxing, the idea of it, like the Tea room not being consistent with the look of the place, or I love the look of Victorian china mixed with old country furniture. Love that! Great blog! You painted a great picture of Seattle and the tea room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll bet the weather in Seattle is a whole lot nicer than it is out here in the Northeast, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Ren - I am fantastic! Really happy to be back hanging around the interwebs.

    @ Pat - I don't think there are too many Brits in Seattle, although it is a crazy melting pot of people. Honestly, the Tea Room is kinda out of the ordinary for the area. But it was awesome and I hope it is successful. And yes, I plan on posting to my other site as well. I am a little anal retentive so I like having my writing and my photos in separate spots. Thank so much for your comments on my photography. You are an excellent photographer so it means quite a bit coming from you.

    @ Nikki - Seattle is seriously wonderful. Go if you ever have the opportunity.

    @ Joanna - You yelped? As in verbal exclamation or posted on yelp.com?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always wanted to go there and check it out! You have to see their cover of telephone, it is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Rick - I have totally seen their cover of telephone. In fact, I have their album of covers and let's just say it happens to rotate up on my ipod/computer/work computer/etc. a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That reminds me...It's been far too long since I've had tea with my mama and sis!

    ReplyDelete