Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pork

I almost had a small conniption fit at work yesterday because of this.

Some of you may remember that in October of last year Nick and I randomly went to Prince Edward Island , Canada.  Apparently there is just something about the months of August, September, and October that just make me want to get the hell out of town.  I would blame the ungodly heat and humidity of South Carolina, but in all fairness, I think most of our vacations have taken place in the fall, no matter where we were living at the time.

At any rate, I was at work thinking about how great that trip was.  How nice it was to need a jacket.  Then, I remembered we ate at this restaurant, Lot 30.  It was pretty much one of the nicest restaurants in town.  And I kinda get the impression that isn't saying a whole ton.  I am pretty sure that PEI is not really known for it's food culture and during the off season there are whole towns that just don't exist because there aren't tourists to populate them.  But this place was really good.  So good, in fact, that we went there twice in the 5 days we were in town.  The dish that really got us was this pork belly they served.  It was a miracle in food.  The pork meat was moist while the outside was slightly crispy and slightly caramelized, while the entire thing was swimming in a flavorful au jus.  It was life-changing.  We talk about it often.

So while reminiscing at work I found their website and noticed they had listed a recipe on their website? Awesome.  I mean how many restaurants do that?  So I click on the link and it is the recipe for the MOTHER-LOVIN PORK BELLY!!!!!!!!!

Soooooo.......I have a hot date with my butchershop and my kitchen next weekend.  I can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh, that sounds so good. There are several gastropubs here in Seattle that serve pork belly and I f-ing LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you and I were commenting on each other's blogs right now at the exact same time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! One of my favorites...
    I've yet to go to PEI (if I may), but maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete